Is there a place I can read all about the services, rules, and regulations associated with the Stunet office?

Yes! You can check out our 2016-2017 Stunet Handbook located on the Contact page.


Where do I pick up my student software?

You can pick up you software at the Student Software office located in Torgersen bridge. 


 If I am not a student, can I get wireless network access?

If you are a short-term guest at Virginia Tech, you can use guest wireless.

If you have a VT PID and short-term wireless does not meet your needs, you are elegible to purchase use of the wireless network. 

Visit our Wireless Network page for more information on guest wireless.


What network should I use to log on to wireless?

Virginia Tech has two SSID’s that you should be able to find. One is titled VirginiaTech, and the other is titled eduroam. VirginiaTech should be used if you are a guest to the university, or if you are attempting to configure your device. If you are a VT student or already have campus wireless network access, and you already have your Network Password set up, you can logon using eduroam. For more visit the wireless network page.


Will I have wireless in my residence hall?

Most likely, yes! The wireless network at Virginia Tech runs through all of the residence halls on campus except for Thomas and Monteith.


I am currently an enrolled student, but my wireless service is not active. What do I do?

Use the COLA website to activate your service. If you are still having an issue, contact us for further assistance.


I heard that I can get phone service in my residence hall room, is that correct?

Yes! If you are interested in having phone service in your residence hall room, visit the residence hall phones page or contact our office for service request and payment details.


Can I use my own wireless router?

Personal wireless routers are not permitted to be connected in buildings with university wireless service. However, if you live in Thomas or Monteith you may connect a wireless router because university wireless is not provided in those two buildings. 


Can I connect my Smart TV, streaming devices, or other commodity devices to wireless?

Yes! You can use the instructions on the wireless network page to connect your commodity devices. 


Can I connect my printer to the wireless network?

No, you must connect your printer directly via a USB cable. Wi-fi printers can cause network interference and are not compatible with any university wireless network.


My room only has one wired connection, but we both want to use it. What do we do?

Each residence hall room has one wired ethernet connection. If you require more than one wired connection for your devices, NI&S recommends the use of a switch, available at the University Bookstore or other retailer of your choice. 


Is there any outdoor wireless coverage?

To enable learning and collaboration outside the classroom, outdoor wireless coverage has been added outside of Newman Library, Squires Student Center, G. Burke Johnston Student Center, and the following dining, residential, and academic buildings across campus: Burruss, Dietrick, Owens, Derring, Randolph, Bishop-Favrao, Peddrew-Yates, Pritchard, Lavery, Kelly, Cowgill, and the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine.


I need walk up technical support - where can I go?

There is walk-up support available in Torgersen Bridge provided by 4Help. Contact 4Help online at or via phone at 540-231-4357.


What services will I keep after I graduate?

Great news, alumni keep their VT email address after graduating! For a complete list of services alumni keep after graduation, visit the 4Help website for more information.